Wednesday, January 5, 2011

23 December 2010, Train from Bombay to Ahmedabad

Well, its been a long time since I have written a journal entry but here I am , on the 23rd of December, a night before Christmas eve, sitting in the general compartment of the Ahmedabad special train from Mumbai Central, while somewhere else , back home at NID the choir sings carols in the cold winter night. That wouldn't be the first of good things I have missed this week.

I missed the ‘party of the sem’ thrown by five friends –Varun, Deepika, Ashu, Malvika and Shruti- for their birthdays; I missed Meshuggah and Enslaved live at Pune L; I missed at least three shooting stars right above my head (allegedly) and finally I missed my train back home! Interestingly most of these misses can be attributed to my Bombay trip this week. Having missed Porcupine Tree and Mood Indigo as a whole last year, I had made it a point to go this time – Katatonia, MoodI , beer and old friends. As always though, you never get to meet all your friends in Bombay during the same trip.

Was it really worth all this? Tough one that. I had fun, did things I may never have done but for this trip. The Katatonia gig was alright but there was something missing which neither I nor Tim was able to identify. Maybe it was just the lousy crowd, I don’t know.

After the great lengths I went to get a tatkal train ticket to Ahmedabad, I missed the train by a measly two minutes. I should probably stop tempting fate when it comes to train timings; but to my credit this is the first long distance train I have missed in a few years. Guess I just like the rush of being on the edge, the uncertainty of not knowing if I will finally get the train. The feeling when you miss the train though, is just plain lousy. No headrush, just a rush of if-onlys through your mind. Come to think of it I shouldn’t have bothered with tatkal tickets and just taken general tickets. No hassle, no fuss, just get there a little early and grab a spot.

I was sitting here and sketching when I had this sudden urge to write. I think I’m over it now. Looking forward to the Diu trip tomorrow and I’m glad I chose to go with the rest of the gang. Maybe I’ll carry my guitar and we can still sing carols on Christmas eve.

Cheers and more beers on the way!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ghost of Christmas(es) Past,

    There is immense love and Christmas joy in store for you ahead. See you on the other side.
    Love,
    Ghost of Christmas Yes To Come.

    ReplyDelete